Unpainted Daruma for Minimalists
- This plain Daruma is good for minimalists who love the Daruma but aren't crazy about colours
- Have a wish. Have a goal. Draw one eye. Make it come true
- Each doll is hand painted by a master craftsmen in Gunma
- Small 9cm size traditional doll. To purchase the smaller 9cm doll please click Here
This Daruma has become popular in recent years for the design and fashion community. It still inspires you to achieve your goals without having to draw the eyes.
The traditional Daruma doll is a Japanese wishing doll that helps people to achieve their dreams and goals. Millions of people in Japan regard it as a talisman of good luck and perseverance, making it a poplar gift of encouragement.
Daruma is the Japanese name for Bodhidharma, the monk credited with founding Zen Buddhism in Japan. Covered in a priestly robe from head to toe, with big eyes wide open and lips tightly shut, Daruma dolls have a sturdy body. Their thick eyebrows are drawn in the shape of a crane and the moustache in the shape of a turtle. It is believed that cranes live 1,000 years and turtles 10,000 years, respectively.
How to use: Make a wish or define your goal. With that in mind, draw an eye on the left eye and keep the doll. When your goal is achieved, draw the other eye.
Traditionally the left eye pupil is drawn first. It is believed to have come from the fact that left seats are above the right ones in the Japanese seating arrangement protocol. There are, however, no rules spelled out for this matter. To physically paint an eye on the pupil of a Daruma doll signifies opening of one’s mind. In other words, by painting a Daruma’s eye pupil, you have opened up the eyes of your mind.
Place of origin:
Hand-made & hand painted in Takasaki, Japan
Create your own gift sets now from a selection of different items on our site. Add this gift bag into the cart, and inform us about the gift that you wish to make in the note section before check-out.
Click HERE to access the product page of this gift bag.
NOTE before ordering this gift bag:
- This offer includes a special individual packing, for your ordered item
- Please kindly inform us about the exact products to be packed, in case multiple items are involved in one order
- Suitable to pack product & products with global volume up to around 320 x 180 x 75mm
- Cannot be ordered independently without other product
- White Komebukuro rice bag: 3kg
- Closed and tied manually by our team, with white wrapping string
Japan-Best is first and foremost a story about Japanese craftsmen with the influence of contemporary design. We are inspired by the timeless beauty of traditional Japanese craftsmanship, and their ability to adapt to our modern lifestyle. The more brands we meet, the more passionate we become about the stories behind each product; the skills of the craftsmen, or the long tradition of an object left unchanged for generations yet somehow remaining contemporary.
Japan-Best is a collection of Japanese brands, which we have selected for the originality of their design, the quality of their production, the fact that their production is “Made in Japan”, and the long history that they maintain, quite often for several generations.
Our selection of Japanese food is also based on craftsmanship in agriculture. We choose brands based on how they are made and we love brands that continue to use traditional natural techniques to grow food and prepare it. Good packaging and design is always and added joy to find!
Please come visit us at our store in Paris:
Bows & Arrows
17 Rue Notre-Dame-de-Nazareth
75003 Paris, France
T. +33 9 83 70 76 98
Bows & Arrows is a contemporary gift store in Paris selling a selection of contemporary Japanese lifestyle brands. We live between Tokyo and Paris and enjoy bringing new brands to introduce to our customers in Europe.
Please subscribe to our newsletter to receive invitations:
- when we have artists and craftsmen visit our store for special events
- for descriptions and stories when we receive new brands at our store
- for dates when we receive this years harvest of tea, rice, or seasonal food
Bows & Arrows is the retail branch of the “Japan- Best” distribution company based in Paris, dealing with the international wholesale distribution of a variety of Japanese brands.