Higonokami Black Oxide Folding Knife
- A beautiful iconic folding knife
- Cuts paper, wood, tape, etc and makes a wonderful letter opener or desk accessory
- Higonokami's simple design hasn't changed for over 100 years, and is a long-life design that has been and is still loved
- Japanese traditional folding knife. XS, S, M, L, XL use blue steel for the blade, and the sharpness lasts for a long time.
- A tool you will cherish for a lifetime
- Made by one single craftsman
The handle of this pocket knife is made of brass and the blade is made from the famous Japanese “blue steel” (aogami). As the Higonokami knifes are purely hand made, each knife is unique, and may come with a slight difference, resulting from the variations during the final finishing step.
The knives can be perfectly polished and sharpened at home, making it a precious tool with the patina always coming back, showing Higonokami's true value: being an humble and daily tool for the ones who appreciate them.
This famed Japanese pocket knife, comes with a shape that hasn't changed since the Meiji period (1868-1912). This folding knife is very versatile and can be easily carried in your bag, and to be used for many purposed. Only one last craftsman, Motosuke Nagao, who has inherited the family's blade crafting skill, is able to produce the true Higonokami.
His family has initially started the knife making at Miki, which is one of the birthplace of iron-sand crafting in Hyogo prefecture, Japan. The craftsman, Motosuke, is the 4th generation.
Care: After use, clean the blade with cotton soaked with camelia oil (or other oil) to prevent it from rusting.
Medium 160 mm unfolded : 65 mm length of blade
XLarge 210 mm unfolded : 95 mm length of blade
Special treatment: black oxide finishing
Create your own gift sets now from a selection of different items on our site. Add this gift bag into the cart, and inform us about the gift that you wish to make in the note section before check-out.
Click HERE to access the product page of this gift bag.
NOTE before ordering this gift bag:
- This offer includes a special individual packing, for your ordered item
- Please kindly inform us about the exact products to be packed, in case multiple items are involved in one order
- Suitable to pack product & products with global volume up to around 320 x 180 x 75mm
- Cannot be ordered independently without other product
- White Komebukuro rice bag: 3kg
- Closed and tied manually by our team, with white wrapping string
Japan-Best is first and foremost a story about Japanese craftsmen with the influence of contemporary design. We are inspired by the timeless beauty of traditional Japanese craftsmanship, and their ability to adapt to our modern lifestyle. The more brands we meet, the more passionate we become about the stories behind each product; the skills of the craftsmen, or the long tradition of an object left unchanged for generations yet somehow remaining contemporary.
Japan-Best is a collection of Japanese brands, which we have selected for the originality of their design, the quality of their production, the fact that their production is “Made in Japan”, and the long history that they maintain, quite often for several generations.
Our selection of Japanese food is also based on craftsmanship in agriculture. We choose brands based on how they are made and we love brands that continue to use traditional natural techniques to grow food and prepare it. Good packaging and design is always and added joy to find!
Please come visit us at our store in Paris:
Bows & Arrows
17 Rue Notre-Dame-de-Nazareth
75003 Paris, France
T. +33 9 83 70 76 98
Bows & Arrows is a contemporary gift store in Paris selling a selection of contemporary Japanese lifestyle brands. We live between Tokyo and Paris and enjoy bringing new brands to introduce to our customers in Europe.
Please subscribe to our newsletter to receive invitations:
- when we have artists and craftsmen visit our store for special events
- for descriptions and stories when we receive new brands at our store
- for dates when we receive this years harvest of tea, rice, or seasonal food
Bows & Arrows is the retail branch of the “Japan- Best” distribution company based in Paris, dealing with the international wholesale distribution of a variety of Japanese brands.