Crafted by Kyoto's legendary Tea Canister manufacturer
A tea caddy that will last for generations
Kaikado tea canisters have been handmade one by one using the same process and the same method for over 100 years.
Boasting high airtightness, it can protect foodstuffs from moisture and store them. Kaikado tea caddies are made with a double structure using tinplate for the inside. You can use these caddies to store tea, coffee, or other dry foods.
There are more than 130 steps in the process of making one single tea caddy. As the joints of the lid and body are lined up, the lid descends to the exact level in a silky and silent motion all the while slowly expelling superfluous air from the caddy. This superb airtight feature has remained unchanged over a century.
Kaikado’s “chazutsu” can be repaired even if they are dented or distorted. They can be passed down from generation to generation because of the traditional hand making techniques even now being practiced. Your grandchildren’s grandchildren will be able to bring their “chazutsu” back to craftsmen if they ever need maintenance.
Product size: ⌀11 x H16cm (including the handle)
The product name 200g indicates the content of coffee beans.
The inner lid is conventional type and it fits snuggly inside the caddy.
Brass spoon is included. The spoon is fit on the inner lid.
Place of Origin: Japan
Proper care and handling of your tea caddy:
- Please do not wash the caddy. Prior to shipping the caddies are thoroughly sanitised
- Please do not place the caddy in a refrigerator or freezer as the material is -susceptible to moisture and humidity. If you should get water on your caddy, please wipe it off with a soft dry cloth and gently rub caddy to avoid moisture spots.
- After your purchase you will perceive a normal yet subtle change in the colour tone of your caddy: copper in 2-3 months, brass in 1-2 years and tin in 3-5 years. Like fine wine caddy becomes even more appreciated with age.
- It is Important to lift the top of the caddy lid softly from the body in order to prevent any possibility of damage.
- When closing the caddy lid please adjust the joint line on the lid with the joint line on the body. This will allow the lid to go down slowly by itself and the air will be released from the caddy. Gently push the lid at the last moment. This will prevent air from entering the caddy.