Soba Choko Cup
- In Japan we usually use these small bowls for a dipping sauce for cold noodles
- They can also be used to serve nuts, appetisers, small dishes, dips, or even tea
- Not too big, not too small, just the right size.
- Its size and gentle diagonal lines fit comfortably in your hand
Soba choko that has been made since the early Edo period. In the late Edo period, it became popular with the popularity of buckwheat noodles and became a common vessel used in daily life. Various patterns such as plants, animals, celestial bodies, landscapes, and geometric patterns are rich in variety among all tableware.
This soba choko made by skilled craftsmen can be used not only as a soba choko for eating soba, but also as a teacup, a cup for cold sake, a small bowl for pickles, and a bowl steamer. You can use it.
Soba choko made by the "Inban" manufacturing method that has been used since the Edo period and mass-produced by transferring the plate. Since the transfer is done by hand one by one, slight misalignment or chipping of the pattern makes you feel even more attached.
Hasami porcelain has 400 years’ history. Hasami is one of the most famous porcelain production places for craftsmen in Nagasaki prefecture in Japan. Hasami porcelain is famous for its beautiful white porcelain and detailed paint with Gosu (deep blue glaze). Also, elegant openwork and meshwork make Hasami porcelain special.
One of the most popular series is the “Inban” collection of white and blue. The craftsmen of Hasami porcelain in Nagasaki hand make each product. There are 5 different types and we like to mix and match. Sometimes so guests can tell the difference between the dipping sauces.
Size: φ7.5 x H5.7cm
Made in Nagasaki Japan
Dishwasher and Microwave oven safe but not recommended.
Create your own gift sets now from a selection of different items on our site. Add this gift bag into the cart, and inform us about the gift that you wish to make in the note section before check-out.
Click HERE to access the product page of this gift bag.
NOTE before ordering this gift bag:
- This offer includes a special individual packing, for your ordered item
- Please kindly inform us about the exact products to be packed, in case multiple items are involved in one order
- Suitable to pack product & products with global volume up to around 320 x 180 x 75mm
- Cannot be ordered independently without other product
- White Komebukuro rice bag: 3kg
- Closed and tied manually by our team, with white wrapping string
Japan-Best is first and foremost a story about Japanese craftsmen with the influence of contemporary design. We are inspired by the timeless beauty of traditional Japanese craftsmanship, and their ability to adapt to our modern lifestyle. The more brands we meet, the more passionate we become about the stories behind each product; the skills of the craftsmen, or the long tradition of an object left unchanged for generations yet somehow remaining contemporary.
Japan-Best is a collection of Japanese brands, which we have selected for the originality of their design, the quality of their production, the fact that their production is “Made in Japan”, and the long history that they maintain, quite often for several generations.
Our selection of Japanese food is also based on craftsmanship in agriculture. We choose brands based on how they are made and we love brands that continue to use traditional natural techniques to grow food and prepare it. Good packaging and design is always and added joy to find!
Please come visit us at our store in Paris:
Bows & Arrows
17 Rue Notre-Dame-de-Nazareth
75003 Paris, France
T. +33 9 83 70 76 98
Bows & Arrows is a contemporary gift store in Paris selling a selection of contemporary Japanese lifestyle brands. We live between Tokyo and Paris and enjoy bringing new brands to introduce to our customers in Europe.
Please subscribe to our newsletter to receive invitations:
- when we have artists and craftsmen visit our store for special events
- for descriptions and stories when we receive new brands at our store
- for dates when we receive this years harvest of tea, rice, or seasonal food
Bows & Arrows is the retail branch of the “Japan- Best” distribution company based in Paris, dealing with the international wholesale distribution of a variety of Japanese brands.