100％ Premium Naturally Forest Grown Shitake
- Truly rare and exceptional Shitake where anyone can taste the difference
- Grown in the best environmental conditions for Forest-grown Shiitake in Kyushu
- Won the Grand Prize for the Sustainable Award 2020 from the Japanese government MAFF
- No chemicals or preservatives are used at any point in the entire process
- Soak the dry shitake overnight and enjoy genuine Premium Shitake
The Shiitake is grown on natural sweet sap oak log in the forest. The growers use a 1,000-year-old Japanese approach to grow sustainable Sweet Sap Oak Tree Logs that are recognised in Japan as producing the best-tasting and textured Shiitake. Naturally, Forest-grown Shiitake has a distinct and deep flavour with an outstanding firm texture. Forest-grown Shiitake grows slowly when cold winds and natural sunlight quickly dried moisture provided by rain and fog.
First the oak trees are cut (they are cared for and naturally regrow in a 15 year sustainable cycle). The cut wood is then let to "rest" in the forest for 4 years. After this the shitake spores are planted directly in the wood and grown in the forest. Where other shitake are started in warehouses with artificial light and water, Sugimoto Shitake is 100% Forest Grown.
The Umami of Shiitake Powder triggers a harmony of natural favours. Shiitake powder brings out the best tastes, not by adding another flavour.
Please watch the video below to learn more about the shitake growing process.
The Vitamin D content in Shiitake are greatly enhanced by sunlight. Sun-dried Shiitake contain the most amount of Vitamin D of any other plant related foods. Our Shiitake are exposed by ultraviolet light in the factory so that we can further enhance and guarantee the amount of Vitamin D. In conclusion, Sugimoto Shiitake has the most Vitamin D content of any natural foods.
How to rehydrate Shitake: The dried Shiitake will become 4x's heavier after rehydration.
- Wash : Please wash with water lightly and scour dust of Shiitake.
- Put the shitake in a tupperware and pour water into a container so that Shiitake is covered in water.
- Put the shitake in the fridge overnight. To make more UMAMI, less than 10°C, 5-24 hour need.
- Check the Stems the next day. Because a joint stem is the hardest part, please touch and check how rehydrated it is.
Now prepare the shitake: The stem of Shiitake has the richest Umami taste of the whole Shiitake mushroom. This is the most cost-effective way to boost the Umami of your cooking when you can remove the stems before serving. The stem is often used to prepare dashi and broths. Shitake Broth: Dried Shiitake soaking water (Shiitake Dashi) contains much Umami, Guanylate. It boosts the Umami of other ingredients. So it would be best if you used them without waste for cooking. The best quantity of Shiitake Dashi for your cooking is the following. Maybe less than you expected. If you feel the taste of Shiitake, it is too much.
Use the actual shitake for a variety of simmered meals and soups. Here are some recommended Shitake Recipes for you to try: https://shiitakejapan.com/en/
Remarks: Due to custom restrictions on food related items, this product is currently unavailable for clients living in United States and Russia.
Create your own gift sets now from a selection of different items on our site. Add this gift bag into the cart, and inform us about the gift that you wish to make in the note section before check-out.
Click HERE to access the product page of this gift bag.
NOTE before ordering this gift bag:
- This offer includes a special individual packing, for your ordered item
- Please kindly inform us about the exact products to be packed, in case multiple items are involved in one order
- Suitable to pack product & products with global volume up to around 320 x 180 x 75mm
- Cannot be ordered independently without other product
- White Komebukuro rice bag: 3kg
- Closed and tied manually by our team, with white wrapping string
Japan-Best is first and foremost a story about Japanese craftsmen with the influence of contemporary design. We are inspired by the timeless beauty of traditional Japanese craftsmanship, and their ability to adapt to our modern lifestyle. The more brands we meet, the more passionate we become about the stories behind each product; the skills of the craftsmen, or the long tradition of an object left unchanged for generations yet somehow remaining contemporary.
Japan-Best is a collection of Japanese brands, which we have selected for the originality of their design, the quality of their production, the fact that their production is “Made in Japan”, and the long history that they maintain, quite often for several generations.
Our selection of Japanese food is also based on craftsmanship in agriculture. We choose brands based on how they are made and we love brands that continue to use traditional natural techniques to grow food and prepare it. Good packaging and design is always and added joy to find!
Please come visit us at our store in Paris:
Bows & Arrows
17 Rue Notre-Dame-de-Nazareth
75003 Paris, France
T. +33 9 83 70 76 98
Bows & Arrows is a contemporary gift store in Paris selling a selection of contemporary Japanese lifestyle brands. We live between Tokyo and Paris and enjoy bringing new brands to introduce to our customers in Europe.
Please subscribe to our newsletter to receive invitations:
- when we have artists and craftsmen visit our store for special events
- for descriptions and stories when we receive new brands at our store
- for dates when we receive this years harvest of tea, rice, or seasonal food
Bows & Arrows is the retail branch of the “Japan- Best” distribution company based in Paris, dealing with the international wholesale distribution of a variety of Japanese brands.